Finding a Talent Agent in LA

From my experience I have devoted myself to too many hours working on super low budgets films. But if you haven't done it.. you should. It helps build your reel, not necessarily your resume because no one cares about these films you have done before some major network job or a featured on a blockbuster. People are always saying to me that these indie films I have worked on does not matter because anyone can shoot a film in their backyard or basement. Not that my films were done that way but if they haven't seen it, it doesn't matter.

I have landed a great agency last week because of my reel. These films have showed my diversity and range. When you choose a project that can give you that, you should do it. But always keep in mind... there is a better actor than you somewhere so keep training, any skill that can give you a competitive edge. Again I say "a professional actor is a struggle no matter where you are and at whatever level" have yourself something your competitor may not have.

So how to get an agent in LA:

I did numerous mailings. Never worked. What a waste of money that was and has always been (for me) So what I did was, I got myself a website, got teaser reel up ( less then one minute, everyone likes to be teased) then I got a easy link to my full reel and sent out a massive email. I probably sent over 300 emails and got about 5 back. I was fortunate enough to get good agencies contacting me. But the key was, work, severe, persistence. Someone was going to get back to me no matter what. I was going to email them until they blocked me. I will watch some dumb movie and would look up the actors that were not in major parts. Check out who was rep'ng them and say HEY!! here I am, and I'm great, look ay my reel!

Here are some helpful notes I've gotten and I will follow with my own advice:
  1. Find out if any of your friends or contacts know the agents you're targeting or are represented by them. Ask about their experiences, and ask if they can give you a reference. (BTW your fellow actors never will, although they may say so)

  2. Submit your headshot and resume to the agent, with a brief cover letter introducing yourself. (It'll probably end up in the garbage, they get too many)

  3. Follow up with a phone call and a postcard. (Don't call, unless you have hard skin and can manipulate the assistant ****assistants are extremely important)

  4. Send invitations to all of your performances to agents whom you have targeted.(that's good)

  5. Perform in a "showcase" (see glossary), but select carefully. Many showcases involve a fee, so find out in advance which agents will attend. (not so bad, super costly, but may get something out of it)

  6. Be persistent but not obnoxious. Send postcards every two to four months updating the agents on your activities. (more money... remember after 100 you send, one will look at it so DO IT!)

  7. Prepare a monologue. When an agent calls you into his/her office, you will probably be asked to do a monologue or cold reading. Dress in a flattering but professional manner, and bring headshots and resumes. (you know to always be prepared although I never found that the case. No one has ever asked me to do a monologue right of the bat unless it was a very unprofessional production, but don't take my word on it)

  8. Thank agents for interviews, and if they don't choose you this time around, keep in touch and don't take it personally; they can only take so many of each type of actor at a time. (It's the way the business works, so shine bright the first time around so that you wont have to come back! Prepare! I say read "How To Win Friends and Influence People" agents love to hear the sweet things you have to say from that book)




LA has been like a succubus. Raping me of all my money...well all my credit cards money, to invest in my career. (New photos.. again? But I just got them a year ago?)But what the hell? I've spent over 48K in college and where is it getting me? My resume is good, I'm talented, driven, smart, I have determination, goals an so on... (LA Casting (commercials) chages $25 plus p/pic and $9 monthly and Actors Access/Breakdowns (theatrical)$10 p/pic and $70 year/membership) Agents are not going to pay that for you.

We have to focus on the training at hand. New classes, voice, dialect, auditioning, cold-reading, martial arts, combat, techniques, not to mention new casting directors and their assistants classes and seminars. How are you going to meet them? By taking their showcases, classes etc...
It's all money, a lot of it.

If we have a part time job? Forget it. We can get an audition last minute while you are just starting our shift and then what??? How do we escape? Can we say no, sorry, I have to pay my rent this month. We got to be ready to book it.

So be prepared. If you want a top agent who will work for you no matter what, BE READY. Have money saved, know what you are getting into because a good agent will drop you "at the drop of a hat".

Getting a NY agent:

I can't tell you how to get an agent in NY because I have never gotten one. You can actually work in NY independently if you make the right connections. Most of the links I found online go back to what I said above. But I have lived in NY for over 5 year and worked and this is how I did it:
I got jobs as an extra (I know we hate it but its true) through nycastings.com. They have open calls and once you are in the system and submit yourself they will never let you go. Through that I got "under fives" because the director needed it, stand in and body double work (which paid a lot) and got offered numerous things. I don't think I took enough advantage of what the NY industry had to offer (Union seminars, Actors Connection etc) but what I can say is... its definitely limited.

I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors. Please write me and let me know what you think of my tips. I'm on the same boat as most of you and will keep sharing the experiences when I know someone is taking some helpful hints form what I'm going though.

Best to you all. More tips bellow:

What an Agent Does

A lot of people know that they need to get an agent, but few know exactly what an agent will do for them once they have them. An agent's job is to utilize his/her contacts and inside information in a way that benefits you by getting you acting gigs.

The typical process for new clients is that the agent will initially set up "general" meetings with executives, producers and casting directors around town to sort of 'introduce' you to the decision makers. The purpose of these meetings is to put a bug in their ear so that when an acting opportunity comes up that matches your gender, age, appearance and skill level, you'll be first in line.

This is really one of the MAIN reasons you want to get an agent. It's getting to utilize the web of contacts they have made over their years in the business to your benefit.

Beyond the initial meetings, the agent is your 'representative.' They essentially can speak on your behalf regarding particular roles and upcoming projects. Unless you bring a separate attorney to the table, they are also your representative in legal matters that are related to your job. Your agent will negotiate the terms of a deal for you and will often work with others at his/her agency to make sure you're top of mind for opportunities in other departments (e.g., movies, television, commercials, etc.)

Getting an Agent to Notice You

I hear too often upcoming actors complaining that they can't get an agent and yet, when you study what they've done over the past year or two, they can't point to any one event where an agent might have actually shown up! The point is, you can't get an agent by sitting on your couch. You have to take the initiative and start working wherever you can, so that you won't have to seek out an agent, they'll come and see you!

Find plays, short films, student films, whatever and whenever you can. Take classes if only because you increase the likelihood that you will meet someone who has a connection (or even has an agent) that will help you get what you need.

You might even consider becoming your own producer. We live in a time where you have a global audience right at your fingertips. All you have to do is give them something to watch. So, consider creating your own content that will help to get you noticed. There are success stories every day of the unknown who posted something spectacular on YouTube, or of the actor whom no one knew until he wrote a role for himself to play and managed to get his own funding. You simply have to find your own path and not wait to be told what it is.

Getting an Agent is Secondary to Starting Your Career

Don't let not having an agent keep you from starting your career. The search for an agent is secondary to your getting out there and making a name for yourself first. Besides, an agent will be much more inclined to represent someone that he/she believes is going to find their own opportunity.

The big misnomer is that once you get an agent, you simply have to sit by the phone and wait for it to ring.

The sad truth is that agents will definitely work on your behalf, but they're going to get the clients that are already established working first because they know that's where their meal ticket is. So, sitting around waiting for them to make you famous is as ridiculous as it sounds.

So How Do You Get an Agent?

The process differs from person to person. But the one key factor that everyone has in common is that they communicate their desire. When appropriate, you need to bring up the fact that you're looking for an agent. You might be at a casting call where they ask about your agent -- don't lie -- tell them you're in the process of looking for one and ask whom they recommend. The point is, you need to be sure you're communicating to those around you because you never know who will be in a position to help you. Let them know you're looking and always find out if they have opinions on the best agent for you.

Agents vs. Managers

The main difference between an agent and a manager is how much personal focus you get. An agent is concerned with one thing -- getting you your next (or first) gig. A manager however, is more of a personal thing. They do much of the same work that the agent does, but they will also handle you much more closely than a typical agent because they handle more personal issues in your life.

Look, all you really need to know is that if you put yourself out there and fully commit to your career as an actor both in your performances as well as in your decision to pursue your dreams, then more than likely, you'll have your choice of agents knocking at your door.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck :)

Bianca Belmonte Giancoli said...

Thanks! All the best to you as well

Anonymous said...

searchforperformingriches
Newbie

Posted February 16, 2010 10:42 AM
Who did your headshots? Meant to add that to the above post.

Realize that who works for you might not work for me but always curious about who people used, and how it worked out.

Posts: 11 | Location: new england | Registered: January 25, 2010

Anonymous said...

Lonni Delane
Denzel Washington


I like the blog so far. It's cool to let people into your world that way.

Posts: 718 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: September 01, 2008

Post a Comment

Welcome! Join me in my new adventure as an aspiring actress in Los Angeles

I'm Bianca, but you can call me Bee.

When I was moving to LA, I killed many hours doing research to simply figure out how to survive when I got here. I had hoped to find a one stop place for all my questions, constantly updated and with the help I needed for the sometimes-working actor. So I decided to start a community that can help us all grow together or those deciding to make the journey.

My promise is to always be honest about my experiences in the biz, with new updates and helpful links, education, books and things that I have put my hard earned money to get but should be shared with my buddies.


Look forward to hearing from all of you!

Losing my dress, always losing something

Losing my dress, always losing something

Visitors

Womens health
Womens health