Why move? NY or LA

Before I start pouring my heart out in the first few weeks I have been in LA as an aspiring working actress I had to consider many options. I have come to love New York. Everything about Manhattan makes me hot. Anyone you meet that lives in Manhattan loves it, dislikes LA and the people...especially the entertainment industry and to tell you the truth, so have I.
But of course you cant beat the weather, and this is me writing in the beginning of February where everyone is freezing in NY and I'm strolling around with the top down in my convertible, wearing short skirts :)

So this is what I got from researching endless hours on the net. I hope to someday be the blog you will come to so you can find all the answers you need in one search.

Avoiding LA has been a long brutal journey, but lets face it... if you want to be an OC (on camera actor) you need to be in LA, unless you are an extremely talented Broadway star. If not... you need to move to LA in my experience.

So things to consider:
There are lots of films and tv shot in the NYC area, but it is not the center of the film business the way it is the center of the theatre industry. There might be fewer opportunities for film and tv work available. On the other hand, for just those reasons there will also be less competition for film and tv work in NYC than around the LA area. Which is not to say there will be no competition. NYC is filled with actors who pursue both theatre and film careers. Additionally, most film/tv actors are not rooted to their homebase and are prepared and willing to travel to pursue their careers no matter where they live. And I can say I have tried it, although not successfully. No LA agent will rep a new actor if they live in NY unless they are "NAME TALENT"
That said, the choice, is, of course, ours, on our journey together on this blog. Being a professional actor is a struggle no matter where you are and at whatever level. I can only wish us all the luck in the world.
Best,
Bea
Posts I have found useful:

"Theatrical agent, Kolstein Talent Agency, New York; clients have recently booked 'The
Wonderful Maladys,' 'Lights Out'

Moving to New York to pursue your career is the first step toward a promising future, but that future isn't always as rosy as it may appear from your hometown bedroom. The competition and the sheer size of the acting pool here can often be overwhelming for actors who are new to the city and to castings. Thoughtful preparation and research will be the new actor's best tools.

Before you come to the city, realize that many actors just like you are making the move as well. Your best defense is to know yourself, and know yourself well. As a new agent at the Kolstein Talent Agency managing the developmental film/TV department, I frequently work with actors who are new to New York, and I consistently remind them: Know your type and own it. Familiarize yourself with your niche, and think actively and strategically about how to present yourself. Being confident and comfortable with the place you best fit in this industry is your smartest strategy.

It will also be important for you to develop a working knowledge of the major casting offices in New York and the types of projects they cast for. Research the agencies, and plan on mailing post cards or headshots and résumés to strong boutique agencies, which will have the resources to work with actors who are just beginning their careers. Look into the abundance of networking tools and seminars available to actors in the city, such as the Network (www.thenet
worknyc.com) and One on One (www.oneononenyc.com). Most important, make a resolution to devote yourself to your craft and take advantage of the many opportunities that New York has to offer you!

*-Note: there are a lot of free classes being offered at Casting Networks and Mandy.com. Look them up. Its free to join and its always nice to hear from industry peeps.. and you dont have to joing the classes. If you have joined SAG or AFTRA they have really cheap fees so that you can network. Take advantage of those opportunities*

Commercial agent and president, Rick Miller Agency, New York; clients have recently booked TV spots for Verizon, Bank of America

"Whether they do it before they get to New York or when they get to New York, what actors are really going to need, first of all, is a great headshot. Because until they have a really good headshot and a really well-constructed résumé, they're probably not going to get through many doors. I can't tell you how many times somebody has just wandered into my office with a snapshot. My response is, "Thank you for the snapshot, but you're really going to want to go to a professional photographer and get at least one great headshot for theater, film, and television—more of a legit shot—and for commercials a more smiley, warm, friendly shot. It's so competitive, and there are so many polished, well-established performers here. A headshot is your calling card. You'll also want to have a really well-constructed, well-organized, aesthetically beautiful résumé."

Other than that, it's getting the lists of agencies. Right off the bat, you should get Call Sheet or other industry-related books that list the agencies. The agencies state what they do, and actors can specifically target whatever areas they're interested in. Once they have the names, they can mail their pictures and résumés to those agencies.

Actors should just start throwing themselves in immediately and auditioning for things on their own. Just get out there. If you don't have a lot of credits, you should get yourself into the mix. Start doing showcases or doing whatever you can get on your own, then continue to follow up with post cards to agents. I would also suggest that, realistically, unless they're independently wealthy, actors get jobs with flexible hours, so they can go on auditions.

So basically: great headshot, put yourself out there, find out who the agents are and what they do, and just be really professional and active and moving forward. Throw your whole soul into it."

So what I have found before moving to LA:

"1. Come with enough money saved up for three things:
  • Apartment- You will need first and last month's rent plus a deposit. And give yourself a cushion in case you don't find a job right away. Typical rent is about a grand if you don't have a roommate. And a deposit can be anywhere from $500 to the same amount of your monthly rent. So budget accordingly.
  • Headshots- You need to invest in headshots when you get here. With headshots now being shot digitally you might save money but don't forget to factor in printing and retouching. Also if you're going to use hair/make-up services it will be an additional cost.
  • Class- Sign up for one as soon as you get here. This should be high on your list. Eat, sleep, work, class. Besides, it's a great way to meet people.
2. When looking for apartments, make sure to ask about parking. I personally would not rent at a place without a parking spot. It can be a hassle to park in Los Angeles and when you get home late, you don't want to park ten blocks away from your apartment, especially if you're in a not so safe neighborhood.
3. Central air and heat is not a standard amenity here so figure out how important that is to you. The places that do have it tend to be a little pricier.
4. Be upfront with your boss about being an actor. You're not the first actor they've hired.
5. Craigslist.org is not only a wonderful place to find an apartment, it's a wonderful site to find things FOR your apartment. You can even get a lot of stuff free if you go an pick it up.
6. If you are here to act, be prepared to give it some time. I really feel like a minimum of two years is pretty standard to get the ball rolling. Don't expect overnight success.
7. Get a subscription to IMDB.Pro. It's a great tool to keep up with the industry and to educate yourself on who is who.
8. Mapquest will save your life and have a Thomas Guide in your car at all times.
9. This is a small town. You never know who knows who so be careful who you talk about and what you say. You'd be surprised to know how everything here comes full circle when you least expect it.
10. Last but not least, it's going to get tough, and you're gonna have rough times but give yourself a shot. Nothing good comes easy, so be prepared to fight, to work hard, and to pay your dues.

3 comments:

Patricia Raven said...

Hello Bianca,
how are you doing so far? LA is not easy.
I moved here last year because my manager said that if I want to stay working I have to be where jobs are. I worked in PA and NY market for 2 years prior. I looked on your blog and saw that we share the same knowledge and skills of the biz. I used mandy a lot before and still even with manager and agent I submit myself for independent project (most of feature films) which can hire SAG actors.

Bianca Belmonte Giancoli said...

Thanks Patricia,
I'm glad people are taking notice, posting their comments and experiences. Keep it up. I promise I will.

Anonymous said...

Lerner
Sean Penn

Posted February 16, 2010 10:54 AM
I checked your blog. Very nice, really like it.
I pretty much agree with most of it. We've been in LA for almost a year - it's hard, very hard.
Very expensive, a lot of competition, a lot of politics......


http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2315507/

Posts: 20 | Location: LA | Registered: February 15, 2006

Post a Comment

Welcome! Join me in my new adventure as an aspiring actress in Los Angeles

I'm Bianca, but you can call me Bee.

When I was moving to LA, I killed many hours doing research to simply figure out how to survive when I got here. I had hoped to find a one stop place for all my questions, constantly updated and with the help I needed for the sometimes-working actor. So I decided to start a community that can help us all grow together or those deciding to make the journey.

My promise is to always be honest about my experiences in the biz, with new updates and helpful links, education, books and things that I have put my hard earned money to get but should be shared with my buddies.


Look forward to hearing from all of you!

Losing my dress, always losing something

Losing my dress, always losing something

Visitors

Womens health
Womens health