Top Talent Agents, Middle size Talent Agents and all others

ok, so when it comes to signing with an agent, please do yourself a favor and do your homework.
There is nothing worst than signing with some fool, landing yourself a job, getting your check signed off to him/her and then never receiving compensation. YES IT HAPPENS, and it happens way too often. These fly-by-night agencies probably started with the best intentions, but soon found themselves broke (agents work hard and long hours with no immediate compensation) and never to be heard from again.

Yes, it has happened to me when I lived in Miami, but I learn from my mistakes and share it with others.

Of course you have heard the warnings, but I have to repeat them again for the sake of those who need to hear it more. NEVER EVER sign with them if they ask for upfront money, make you take new photos with THEIR photographer, or take THEIR classes. Agent's ONLY make money when you do. Agents usually make 10% on film/tv and commercials and 20% on commercial print.

They could say "let me know when you get new headshots/ new training/developed this skill, etc" and you will probably say "who do you recommend?" and now the ball is is someone's court, but I wouldn't know. Depends on the agent/manager or situation. I can only recommend from experience and being slapped with the dumb stick too many times.

I will follow this article with agencies to avoid. I've done the research. Keep in mind things could always change. That is why I'm asking our fellow actors for their input. These agents are getting smarter, and they may not ask you to do things right off the bat. they will get you all excited, thinking you will be a star in no time and hit you up with something. Just because they are not in my "NO GO" list doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

There are some established, credible small agencies that are constantly looking for new talent. In my experience they are modeling/print agencies looking to branch out into the world of stage and on camera acting and voice over.

Bellow are union (SAG, AFTRA and so on) franchised agencies. Doesn't mean they dont take non-union talent but if they book you on something union, be prepared to pay the fees. SAG requires a waiver and a hefty fee, AFTRA only requires a hefty fee. Agents that ask you to join the unions are not making money out of it. It's a recommendation or requirement. A manager who believes in you may put up the money for you as a loan.

I will add more to this article as I do more research.

So here are the following:

Top Agencies: mostly only for established actors

Top Commercial Agencies:
KSR *
Abrams *
CESD *
Diverse *
Coast to Coast *
Daniel Hoff *
Commercial Talent *
Commercials Unlimited
Innovative Artists *
Independent Artists
Flick Commercials
DPM
DDO
Venture IAB
Sutton, Barth, Venari
Arlene Thornton and Associates
Pantheon
Beverly Hecht
Don Buchwald and Associates *
M. Greene and associates
AKA
Amsel, Eisenstadt & Frazier
Brady, Brannon, and Rich
Brass Artists
Aqua
Special Artists Agency
Amatruda, Benson, and Assoc.
Angel City
BiCoastal
Clear Talent Group
Lemon Lime
LA Talent
LW1
Mavrick
Momentum
NTA
-Talentworks -House of Representatives
Theatrical Agents:
-Abrams
-Coast to Coast
-Amsel Eisenstadt Frazier
-House of Representatives
-Daniel Hoff
-M. Greene and associates
-Agency for the Performing Arts
-AKA
-Diverse
-Media Artists Group
-GVA
-Gage
-Geddes
-Talentworks
-Kohner
-Metropolitan
-Domain
-Peter Strain
-The Glick Agency
-IFA
-Pakula King
-David Shapira
-Sovereign
-Hervey Grimes











































































































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JimChevallier
Al Pacino

Posted February 16, 2010 06:46 PM
I'm utterly astonished by what people put on their blogs.

Think of your blog as a newspaper being handed out in the street. A newspaper with, at times, HUGE headlines.

Here's a sample of things I don't think you should even hint at on your blog:

- The location of your day job or your employer
- Where you live and whether you live alone
- Negative things about people you might EVER want to work with
- How you feel about an ex-lover you did wrong/whom you did wrong

I've seen people say incredibly personal things on their blogs. I've seen people stalked on-line by someone who had a beef with them and ended up calling their employer. I've seen people say things about their bosses that might get them fired, sued, etc. I've seen people talk about details of being on a specific set that might pretty well guarantee they never end up on it again.

Etc.

You can always start an anonymous blog (be SURE it's anonymous and not even on the same host site as your main one) if you want to "reveal" the underside of the business - or maybe tell awful tales about people in your lives under disguised names. Anything you do under your own name should represent the same common sense you would use in any other public venue (maybe more...).


Jim Chevallier
http://www.chezjim.com

Anonymous said...

Wondering about headshots--anybody you would particularly recommend in NY? I'm wondering if headshots have taken a backseat to demo reels in importance--or is the headshot the 10 second audition to get them to see your 2 minute reel--so as to actually get called in for a 2 minute audition?

Btw, disregard my moniker--came up with it in a hurry--was thinking of 'riches' in metaphorical sense. . .

All the best.



Hi! Your moniker is fun, so no need to disregard.

Headshots huh? Yes the DEMO reel comes after the headshot. Your photo is the key unless someone is pitching you hard. If you are not a known actor, you need great shots.

From my experiences in NY, I feel like most photographers there can be a bit presumptuous. It's almost like they are doing you a favor by taking your headshots, like they are above this and should be working on their art on something more important.

In my opinion, a photographer shouldn't advertise like a mad person, on every trade paper possible and so on. They should work on mostly referrals.

I've had some really bad experiences, especially with the ones that advertise a lot. I will not mention names since "some" of the people here love him/her.
I know people love Peter Hurley. I like his work. I've talked to him on the phone and he seemed pleasant. He is expensive though and usually out of town. There are more I like and will put up on the blog. So check on it soon.

One thing is: make sure that the photographer is only shooting YOU and YOU only during your session. Have the look you want ready, studied and send it to them by email or do paper clippings to bring with you when you meet.
***Make sure you feel comfortable with this person. They may have shots of movie stars all over the place, but that doesn't mean they will treat you like one.

To me, Leslie Lazlo was the best photographer I have ever had in NY. She works by referral only and if you are interested let me know. I'll check to see if I can give out her email.
Best,
B

Bianca Belmonte Giancoli said...

Bianca wrote:

Posted February 16, 2010 09:59 PM
First I would like to thank all of you who have visited my blog and shared your comments about it.

It's been online for 4 days and has gotten almost 500 hits.
Thanks for your support. I can't do this without you!

So maybe my post came out wrong. I never meant to say I would trash anyone. I love this business and the challenges it presents. If it were easy, I wouldn't want to be a part of it.

I would never give out my personal details (although I am writing a blog about people's information being sold online and how to stop it, as an actor, our photos are everywhere and you never know who might decide to have it in for you)

What I meant was, sharing the comments I get at auditions, the auditions and meetings I went to and how they panned out, what I learned from it and how to avoid making the same mistakes.

For example: if a casting director says something to me about the specific audition, would they get upset if I shared that? It is after all, a blog about my experiences as an actress in LA and those comments are part of my growth and accomplishments.

If I have any bad experiences and think that some of that should be shared, I'll have a private blog linked to it that only few would be able to access. But I don't think that will be the case. There are terrible things that happens to actors at every level. But it'll happen no matter what.

Stalking is a baggage... a complication that comes with the business. that is why everyone needs to be very careful with the packages they send out.

With that said, I hope that clears up any confusion about the post.

Thanks again for the help.
Best to all,
b

Bianca Belmonte Giancoli said...

Posted February 16, 2010 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Popeye:
I added your blog to "Favorites" on my IExplorer. I'm in the NY area and will be getting my feet wet next year. I liked your blog.



Thanks Popeye, great to have you aboard. Make sure to share with us your experiences as well. We are all there to be a supportive team.
Send me any questions, ideas that you have that I should put up. I'm happy to help

Post a Comment

Welcome! Join me in my new adventure as an aspiring actress in Los Angeles

I'm Bianca, but you can call me Bee.

When I was moving to LA, I killed many hours doing research to simply figure out how to survive when I got here. I had hoped to find a one stop place for all my questions, constantly updated and with the help I needed for the sometimes-working actor. So I decided to start a community that can help us all grow together or those deciding to make the journey.

My promise is to always be honest about my experiences in the biz, with new updates and helpful links, education, books and things that I have put my hard earned money to get but should be shared with my buddies.


Look forward to hearing from all of you!

Losing my dress, always losing something

Losing my dress, always losing something

Visitors

Womens health
Womens health